Monday, November 19, 2012

Nice ta Meetcha -- Monday, November 19th: Christian, Emily, Kyle W

Welcome back! Ready for another round of learning about three great BBS employees? Prepare yourself for this week's edition of Nice 'ta Meetcha Monday.

Christian --

  • When did you start working at BBS?
              • I started working at BBS a little over 3 years ago at the end of summer. I was thrilled to get the job.
  •  What is your role on the floor?
    • My role is to connect people with the books they love. Some customers are looking for something specific, but have no specific information, some customers have fragmentary information, and others are looking for something new, absorbing and unheard of; it is my job to make a happy couple between book between customer and book.  I am a literary detective. I also make jokes, tell funny stories and assist my other co-workers and whatever they need so that we all work together and help the store run smoothly. Aside from this I host authors events which is a lot of fun. I like connecting the authors with the public and make sure that this relationship is smooth, comfortable and enjoyable for all.
  • Where are you from originally and what brought you to Boulder?
    • I was born in Springfield, Illinois, but my parents left when I was four and since then I grew up during the school year in Boulder and summers in Seattle. Aside from this I have lived in New York, Prague and eight years in St. Petersburg, Russia.
  • What are some of your favorite genres/specific titles?
    • I have too many favorite titles to list, but a current favorite is Tomorrow In The Battle Think On Me by Javier Marias. I like David Foster Wallace, Philip Roth, Sylvia Plath and in general literary fiction and poetry. Currently I am on a Latin American writer binge. Also Dostoyevsky, Bugalkov's The Master and Margarita, Anna Ahkmatova and Russian poets of The Silver Age, Anna Karenina and Joan Didion.
  • What is your favorite thing about working at BBS?
    • My favorite thing about BBS are the wonderful people I see every day. Without them this would not be the Boulder Book Store. I also enjoy our diverse, eclectic and often eccentric clientele. And of course all the books and my generous employee discount.
  • What is one unique/interesting fact about you that one wouldn't necessarily learn in ordinary conversation?
    • Most people wouldn't know that for several years while growing up on Bluff Street in Boulder, Allen Ginsberg lived just a few houses down from us.

Emily -- 


  • When did you start working at BBS?
    •  June 2012
  • What is your role on the floor?
    • Bookseller, Card and Sidelines Buyer
  • Where are you from originally and what brought you to Boulder?
    • Seattle, WA, but I've lived many places.  I have family throughout Colorado and figured I'd give Boulder a try! Plus, it's safe to bike here. :)
  • What are some of your favorite genres/specific titles?
  • What is your favorite thing about working at BBS?
    • My book discount? The wonderful staff? Talking to people about books all day? It's hard to choose!!
  • What is one unique/interesting fact about you that one wouldn't necessarily learn in ordinary conversation?
    •   I have visited 26 countries.

Kyle --

  • When did you start working at BBS?
    •  Mid September, 2012
  • What is your role on the floor?
    • I am the revised edition of the Promotions and Marketing Assistant. I make signs, tend to the recommended shelves, and mess around with this blog thing. And also do any and all of Stephanie's grunt work.
  • Where are you from originally and what brought you to Boulder?
    • I'm from Doylestown, PA, a small town outside of Philadelphia, far away on the Eastern side of things. What didn't bring me to Boulder? Mountains, adventures, a big change in life. I mean, it's completely fantastic.
  • What are some of your favorite genres/specific titles?
    • I love reading classics, literary fiction, sci-fi/fantasy, and young adult lit. Some favorite all time titles include the Harry Potter series, all JD Salinger, Ayn Rand, The World According to Garp by John Irving, all Jonathan Franzen and John Green. Best of the year: Sailor Twain by Mark Siegel (an incredibly wonderful graphic novel - check it out!)
  • What is your favorite thing about working at BBS?
    • The books. I feel more at home surrounded by literature than most things. Since I've moved out here I've been made to feel very welcome by everyone that works here so that too has been great.
  • What is one unique/interesting fact about you that one wouldn't necessarily learn in ordinary conversation?
    • Okay, I'll admit it, I have three cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment