Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Book to Movie Adaptations: Paranormal

Hello Owyn is back for my last Book to Movie adaptation blog post. For this week, I decided to be open minded and pick books that are definitely not of my favorite genre that I still believe should be made into movies. This genre is:
Teen Paranormal/Dystopian Romance.
Just typing it makes me want to gag.
Now the main reason I hate this genre so much is because I think it's stupid how teen authors can't just write about two humans falling in love. It has to be a human and a vampire, a vampire and a werewolf or a human and a toaster. And when it comes to these romances, "love" is used very loosely.
But, of that genre, there are some diamonds in the rough. Books that I love regardless of the fact they involve some *really* crazy circumstances.

*SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD*

Gone by Michael Grant. WHY: Okay, these might be a little more dystopian than paranormal, but I'm still putting in the category. The reason why I think this book should become a movie is because of the special effect aspects and its general plot. The kids in this book develop powers from living in their hometown which is surrounded by an energy barrier. Tell me that isn't badass. While reading, I just kept picturing the kids using their powers in a big-screen setting. Also, the plot has a lot of intertwining stories, like the love between Astrid and Sam, the Coates kids trying to destroy the town, and Lana and her dog escaping from their car wreck.

Evermore by Alyson Noel. WHY: As a definite part of the Teen Paranormal Romance scene, this book has what are referred to as "Immortals" (which is also the title of the series). Or basically, people who have taken an elixir which lets them live for hundreds of years without looking older than 17. The main character Ever deals with falling in love with the new kid Damen, seeing the ghost of her dead sister and whenever she touches people she feels their history and sees their auras. This book would be a great movie because of the success of book-to-movies like Twilight. If you just subtract the vampire and add an immortal, you'd basically have the same book.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson. WHY: When I read this book, I was 12-years-old, still developing in my literary identity. I decided to try a range of books that were recommended to me by my lovely librarian and this book was one of them. This book is about a girl who wakes up from a coma in the future and no one will give her a straight answer on what happened to her. What would make this book a great movie is the whole conspiracy aspect of it. Not just the whole hiding the truth-from-Jenna, but the whole hiding-Jenna-from-the-government. *EPIC SPOILERS AHEAD* When she was salvaged from a huge car accident, she lost most of her skin/body to burns but her father, practically a mad scientist, rebuilds her skin using bio-gel and she might be able to live for 200 years. But bio-gel is extremely illegal so Jenna is a secret. So with the whole teenage-secret-conspiracy-hideaway, this book would make a great movie.


P.S. A general reason for all three of my selected books to become movies is because they are all the first in series but each of my three picks have their own individual reasons.


Leave a comment on what book you would like to see become a movie or maybe what you thought of my choices.
Until later,
Owyn

No comments:

Post a Comment